11 hair loss tips to Stop or Reduce Hair Naturally: Hair loss is one of the most common problems in the world and it is reported that one in every three people around the world suffers from it.
It has been stated by the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) that 80 million people in the United States of America suffer from hereditary hair loss.
Causes of Hair Loss: In the majority of the cases hair loss is caused by genetic factors. If someone in the family tree has male or female pattern baldness, then it will have a huge impact on a person’s overall hair growth (hair loss tips).
Other than that, hair loss can also be caused by hormonal imbalances in the body (For example, women during pregnancy and childbirth can also experience hair loss).
Hair loss can also be caused as a side effect of medications used for the treatment of other diseases such as cancer or depression (For example, undergoing chemotherapy leads to hair loss).
It can also be caused by stress, a poor diet that doesn’t include essential nutrients, bad lifestyle choices and not taking proper care of the health of hair.
Here are some tips to combat hair loss that will hopefully stop it or the very least reduce it to some extent. These tips will be backed by science, practical and easy to incorporate into daily lives. Let’s begin (hair loss tips).
- Meditate on A Daily Basis: As mentioned earlier, stress is one of the factors that can lead to hair loss. When a person is under stress, the human body produces cortisol and it can damage the health of hair follicles.
- A hair follicle is the root of the hair and when it is damaged hair loss is sure to occur. Doing meditation or yoga can reduce stress, make a person happier and it can also restore any hormonal imbalance in the body.
- One should meditate for at least 15-20 minutes a day. It is not only good for the hair but also for the skin and overall health.
- Oil Your Hair: When the blood circulation of a body is poor, blood doesn’t reach the scalp in some areas and it can lead to hair loss. So, applying oil to the hair and gently massaging your scalp gently for 10-15 minutes while applying oil will ensure blood circulation and it can boost hair growth.
- Using oil on a consistent basis will also help to fight against bacterial and fungal infections and ensure good overall scalp health. It is also recommended to slightly heat the oil before applying it onto the scalp as heated oil will penetrate the hair follicle and provide nutrients from the very root level.
- However, overusing oil can block the pores of the skin and can do more harm than good. The ideal amount of oiling your hair ranges from two to three times a week. The amount of oiling required for a person has to be determined by himself through trial and error.
- Moreover, whether to keep the oil overnight or wash it off after 10-15 minutes of massaging also depends on the individual. Using oil must be followed up by using an organic shampoo to make sure that the pores of the scalp do not get blocked (hair loss tips).
- Use the Right Shampoo: Shampoos that have sulfate and paraben in them do more harm than good to the hair. These harsh chemicals affect the health of the hair adversely. Instead of these shampoos that are loaded with harsh chemicals, a mild organic shampoo should be used.
- Using organic shampoos will truly benefit hair by keeping the scalp clean and providing essential nutrients to the hair. Using an all-natural hair mask along with a good organic shampoo is beneficial because these masks retain moisture in the hair and it is not only beneficial for the hair but it also makes the hair look good.
- However, shampoos should only be used as a follow up to applying oil because overusing shampoo will result in cleaning out the essential oils that are present in the scalp by default and it will lead to dry and damaged hair.
- Protein, Vitamins, and Biotins: When proper nutrition isn’t provided to the human body, the body automatically stops supplying it to the hair and uses the nutrients for the functioning of the vital organs as they are most essential for the body.
- This is the case because our bodies will be doing the best it can to work with the limited nutrients it gets and since hair isn’t something necessary for survival, it stops producing it.
- Therefore, an unhealthy diet can very well lead to hair loss. Proteins are the most essential chemical for human life and it is required for proper body functioning and the growth of hair.
- Alongside these, Vitamins A and E, in particular, have been known to boost hair growth. Fruits like orange, mango, and papaya are good natural sources of Vitamin A while good sources of Vitamin E include almonds, eggs, and peanuts.
- People who have used biotin supplements to prevent hair loss and boost hair growth have also shown positive results.
- Use Onion Juice: While the thought of applying onion juice on your hair may sound displeasing, the benefits of it are numerous. Onion juice promotes hair growth because it is very rich in sulfur and sulfur is essential for keratin (keratin is the protein that hair is composed of).
- It is also loaded with antioxidants and has anti-bacterial and antifungal properties. However, overusing onions can lead to scalp irritation. Another limitation of using onion juice is that it usually carries a very strong smell and for some people, it can be very difficult to tolerate.
- So, one should be careful with the use of onion juice. Onion juice can also be applied on the scalp by mixing it with any natural oil like coconut or castor oil. 74% of the people who have used onion juice for hair growth reported having significant positive hair growth.
- Use Only Soft Water for Hair: If you are living in an urban area, then this tip may not concern you but it is an important one for those who live in rural or semi-urban areas because people living in such areas probably use hard water on their head.
- Hard water contains some dissolved minerals in them like magnesium or calcium and when it is used on the hair with a shampoo, then it can cause a bad reaction and damage the health of the hair. So, only soft water should be applied to hair.
- Avoiding Brushing Wet Hair: Hair is at its most vulnerable state when it is wet and brushing it at that point can easily lead to hair breakage.
- It should also be noted that when a person is drying hair using a towel after coming out of the shower, he shouldn’t rub the towel vigorously on the head but instead gently dab it with the towel.
- Hair is not meant to undergo serious strain and it should be treated with care.
- Be Wary of Hair Products: Even though most hair products are marketed as healthy and beneficial to the hair, the reality is far from it. There is a very thin layer on the body of the hair which is called moisture coating.
- This moisture coating gets damaged when it comes in contact with the harsh and toxic chemicals that are present in hair products like hair gels, wax, hair colors, etc.
- If you do use these products on your hair, then make sure that they don’t have any harsh chemicals by checking the ingredients in them to avoid hair loss.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking: Smoking or having alcohol for a long period can cause a lot of hormonal imbalances in the body and it can mess up the blood circulation of the body.
- And as it has been already discussed, when the scalp doesn’t get the continuous flow of blood, it stops producing hair and hair loss is very likely to occur.
- Thus, to prevent hair loss it is important to stop the intake of any toxic substance in the body.
- Avoid heating and drying hair: Hair isn’t meant to undergo the pressure of excess heat and that is exactly what we do to our hair when we use dryers or straighteners on it. The use of such products can damage the protein coating of the hair and it can adversely affect the internal health of your hair.
- So, avoiding such products is important. It would also be great to avoid taking any hot showers as they are known to cause dryness and inflammation to the scalp. It should also be noted that hair shouldn’t be kept tied tightly because it causes unnecessary strain on the hair and it can also cause hair breakage and lead to hair loss.
- Seek professional help: If nothing else seems to work, then it might be a good idea to see a dermatologist. There are a lot of medications out there that are known to promote hair growth. But such drugs shouldn’t be used without them being prescribed by a professional.
If these tips don’t work and a person is really insecure about their hair then they could consider some other options. One of them is buying a toupee. The price of a toupee depends on its quality.
The general rule is that the more realistic it looks, the more expensive it will be. However, the most successful option is usually a hair transplant. It is a surgery where your damaged hair follicles will be replaced by healthy ones to grow hair once again (hair loss tips).
However, a surgery like hair transplant should only be considered when it is the last option and consultation with a dermatologist.